Thursday, September 2, 2010

I Love This Crazy Tragic, Awful, Beautiful Life

Life. It moves pretty quickly. I am sure I'm not the only one who can't believe it's Labor Day weekend already. Someone on the radio today mentioned leaves changing colors. Where am I, and what happened to my blissful summer?

O, I'm actually enjoying the new season (though the heat still hovers around 100 every day down here, so I wouldn't really say it's fall yet. Though I've enjoyed the fresh, crisp morning air.) This week is my second full week of work as a part time nanny to Maura (7) and Michael (almost 6-- thirteen more days, he reminded me today over and over again). I love it. I am so thankful-- Daniel and I are both so thankful. The family is great. The parents are easy-going and appreciative, and even though they both work full-time jobs, I can tell their kids mean the world to them, and they love and enjoy investing in their lives. I get to cook dinner most nights during the week for them, as well as grocery shop, do the laundry, organizing and arranging different parts of the house and some light house keeping. They have a rescued German Shepherd mix that I've even grown to love a little. They are 2 1/2 miles from our home, and only 2 miles from seminary-- both easy walks. They've also provided a car for me while I'm working, so that there is no hassle between Daniel and I. This has made things so wonderful.

I've tried to decide as I'm working what I love most about the job-- the organizing (!!!), the cooking, or the kids. It's all so great. I guess I love the variety.

Maura is a sweet little girl. She likes being creative, and thrives on quality time. I had a difficult time figuring her out the first couple of days, but I think I'm starting to get it. We're connecting now, and I'm so glad. (No pictures of her yet)

Michael is all boy. He was bragging today that he weighs more than his sister. :-P He is tough stuff. He likes to please though, and is never unhappy unless provoked.



I've felt so incredibly blessed these last couple of weeks. It is good to be actively working at something again. It is nice to have a to-do-list unfinished at the end of the week, instead of having to make a new one every morning. Last week ended and there were still half a dozen things I couldn't get to, and I'm alright with that. I've been reminded that whether male or female mankind was not created to sit around-- we were created to work! And whatever your talent, gift, or vocation there is certainly good, sound satisfaction from a hard day of work. I am thoroughly enjoying that.

Daniel's enjoying his new schedule too with classes at RTS back in full swing again. He met with the admissions counselor and confirmed that he's on track for a 2011 Spring Graduation, and has already started planning his sermon for Presbytery, and memorizing the Shorter Catechism Q's & A's. He's also teaching American Government and Constitutional Law to a couple of home-school students this year-- American Government, and Constitutional Law. He'll start speech and debate classes eventually, too, with one of his students.

We are happy. Sometimes we're so happy I feel guilty. However, I also know that this season of joy is a blessing from the Father, so what can I do but accept it with praise? Besides, life is never free of trials, suffering or sin, and just a quick glance at my prayer list -- what am I saying? My own life! -- can remind me of that.

I've been meditating on my latest memory verse all week:
Revelation 20:3-4  
"And I heard a great voice from heaven saying, 'Behold the tabernacle of God is with men, and He shall dwell with them. And they shall be His people, and God Himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe every tear from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain, for the former things have passed away."


O, God! What a promise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment