Monday, November 15, 2010

Grace

I came home singing about grace. It was in my heart, and sprang unto my lips. My husband is always quick to criticize my singing, and though I pretend to be hurt, I know it is with good reason that he laughs at me.

Martin Luther penned these words. They are powerful in and of themselves, but keep in mind Luther's history. He was a catholic monk whose life was transformed by six small words, "The just shall live by faith." Nearly overnight his outlook on religion and theology was transformed, and the Holy Spirit revealed to him the freedom received in and through-- merited not by anything of his own doing, but wholly on the grace of God given through the gift of faith.
(This is the more modern translation on the hymn... I'm not sure which I prefer.)

Out of the depths I cry to You,
Lord, hear my voice of pleading;
Bend down Your gracious ear, I pray,
Your humble servant heeding.
If You remember each misdeed,
And of each thought and word take heed,
Who can remain before You?
Only by grace, by grace alone.

Your pardon is a gift of love,
Your grace alone must save us,
Our works will not remove our guilt,
The strictest life would fail us.
Let none in deeds or merits boast,
But let us own the Holy Ghost
for He alone can change us:
Only by grace, by grace alone.

Though great our sins and sore our woes
His grace much more aboundeth;
His helping love no limit knows,
Our utmost need it soundeth.
Our kind and faithful Shepherd He,
Who will set all His people free
From all their sin and sorrow:
Only by grace, by grace alone.


I have so much more to say about this. The Lord has taught me so much  about grace in the last couple of years-- not that I am any expert for it, of course. But I'll have to save that for another time.

1 comment: