Thursday, June 17, 2010

Indescribable, uncontainable

What a whirlwind of excitement, joy and change these last two weeks have been! I can't believe we've been married for almost two whole weeks. It has flown by. And our marriage is not the only thing that's transpired... while we were honeymooning my sister (newly married in December to her own Prince Charming) found out that she's pregnant, and expecting February 25th next year! On top of that, as I write, Daniel's sister, Rebecca, could very well be delivering her first baby. The little one (whose gender is still unknown) was due last Thursday, and has made his/her momma very tired these extra 7 days, so we are all hoping for a baby ASAP.

Our wedding was a fairy tale. Everything I had hoped for came true. I have beautiful memories flooding my mind constantly, as I remember the day. I'll wait to tell more until I have pictures to post with it... hoping for those soon!

Honeymooning is a splendid idea. We were blessed with 7 days in rocky Colorado to relax, enjoy each other, and just be together. (Again, more with the pictures).

What I really wanted to write about this morning, was the overwhelming sense of God's goodness we both experienced last night. As is Daniel's custom, we headed to Wednesday night spaghetti dinner, Prayer Meeting and Bible Study, which had been altered a little to celebrate our safe return. We were told there was to be an ice cream social in our honor, and nearly the whole church would be there (and they were).

I fell in love with this congregation nearly a year ago, when I got to meet them all for the first time. Honest, kind, genuine, and so willing to serve, they quickly found a way into my affections. I have always looked forward to opportunities to fellowship with them since then. Last night, as we made our way through the parking lot, it was evident most people were standing at the door just waiting for our arrival. I got a big, "Welcome Mrs. Wells!" accompanied by a hug from the first by-stander, which was rapidly followed by a dozen more from men, women and young adults. They made me happy to be there, and the evening had only just begun.

We visited through a quick dinner, and then all headed into prayer. This prayer group is comprised of a good bulk of the church: all faithful men and women, devoted whole-heartedly to the Lord. I've only heard stories of the prayers the Lord has answered for them over the years. There were a few more than usual on account of the ice cream, or the newly weds, or something of the sort, so the little front room was packed, and extra chairs were brought in.

Pastor Dean gave a brief introduction, and then an elder stood up and briefly reminded us what the direction of our prayers for this evening should be: we were to pray specifically for the exposition of the Word that coming Lord's Day, and for faithfulness for the pastor as he prepares. Already, I was glued to my seat, ready for the lesson I was sure God was going to teach me through these people.

We covered a white board with prayer requests and praises. Everyone thought of something. There was sympathy in the eyes of all when a particularly difficult situation was mentioned, and there was joy when Daniel asked for prayer and praises for the condition of each of our sisters.

The time of prayer was beautiful. With such faith, we all approached the throne room of God, and humbley but so boldly, made our requests, and glorified His awesomeness.

Daniel and I were both made speechless however, after prayer was finished, and we were ushered out into the narthex. There was a beautiful sheet cake, and piles and piles and piles of food and household supplies. Probably two months' worth of groceries! We could not believe our eyes. I could not stop smiling.

The pastor then gave us a public welcome and briefly charged us, specifically as a soon-to-be-pastor and his wife. Then one of the women then gave us an account of our relationship, and how beautiful it was and is, and how glad they all were to be able to share in some of the joy and excitement of it. She expressed the Church's excitement in learning more about both of us, but specifically me, and learning to serve others together. It was so incredibly sweet.


 Skittles, corn muffin mix x4, coffee (even some Starbucks!), cocoa, chocolate chips, maple syrup (the real kind), paper towels, toilet paper, tissues, flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, baking soda, baking powder, napkins, paper cups, chicken and beef broth, taco shells, salsa, corn chips, canned veggies, rice, hamburger helper boxes, cinnamon, salt, oatmeal, grits, muffin mix, sandwich baggies, all kinds of baggies, pancake mix, cleaning products, and even a Smoothie King gift card! As we unpacked all the bags (green bags, too, which make me even happier) I kept telling Daniel over and over again, "We are so blessed. We are so blessed." I was so overwhelmed I couldn't cry. We had already been pleasantly surprised by several more-than-generous checks as wedding presents, as were not too worried about making ends meet through summer, but this topped everything off, and has given us a chance to save where we would have spent. God is good!

One of the women at church gave me this bouquet of hydrangeas, which naturally remind me of the wedding day, since many of them are the same baby blue, and we had these pretty flowers on the top of our cake. I finally have a centerpiece for my kitchen table! I am a happy girl.

When we finally got everything unpacked, and somewhat organized we headed to bed. I was still floating on clouds, and remembered that old Chris Tomlin song Indescribable.


"Indescribable, uncontainable,
You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name.
You are amazing God
All powerful, untameable,
Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim
You are amazing God
Indescribable, uncontainable..."



No comments:

Post a Comment