Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Newly Wed Kitchen

The last couple of weeks we've only had two meals from our Newly Wed Kitchen cookbook. I really don't get much of a chance to cook around here like I did the first couple of months of our marriage. Daniel works until 8pm on Mondays, has class until 9pm on Tuesdays, and we go to the spaghetti dinner at church on Wednesday evenings, which leaves open Thursdays and Fridays, and then Saturday and Sunday, which I always found difficult anyway.

I did sit down with a cookbook my mom gave me years ago as a Christmas present. It's called "The Busy Woman's Guide to Slow Cooker Recipes."My mom really knows me. And I guess I haven't changed too much in four years. I found some pretty good sounding recipes to try out on Mondays. The plan is to put them in before I head to work at 11. Let them cook all day, then Daniel can grab some before he goes to work at 5, and I can get some when I get home from work at 6. If it goes well on Mondays I might try it on Tuesdays. We'll see.

But back to the Newly Wed Kitchen. .

Supergooey Philly Cheesesteak Sliders
(I didn't make the sliders, though)

3 Tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 medium sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 thinly sliced bell pepper, any color
1 pound top round or rib eye, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
6 ounces sharp provolone, or 1/3 cup melted Cheez Whiz (we used the real stuff, obviously :))
4 mini hamburger buns
(or whatever you have -- but I guess the buns would have been nice to get the full effect of the meal.)

1. Heat 2 Tablespoons of the oil in a skillet and saute onions until golden. Add the garlic and peppers, cooking until the peppers are soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Add remaining oil to the skillet. Cook the meat until your desired brownness. Season with Worcestershire, salt and pepper to taste. 
3. Spread the cheese over the meat, then top with the top bun and cover while still in the skillet to allow the cheese to melt.
4. Pile the peppers and onions on the bottom bun, then top with the other half.
5. Eat with both elbows on the table to maintain your center of gravity. :-D


No comments:

Post a Comment