Monday, September 12, 2011

Greekfest!

Friday night Daniel and I went to the annual Charlotte Greekfest. Daniel had been once before, but I hadn't. We thought it would make a nice Friday night date, especially since a friend gave us free entrance tickets! 

We experienced some authentic Greek culture, and weeded our way through the crowd of teeny-bops (aka 14-year-olds) who all think they're Greek even though half of them are probably not even half Greek. No offense. 

Below are some Greek soliders wearing fustanellas. These skirts have 400 pleats - one for every year that they were in slavery under Ottoman rule.


And here is my tough guy with a real tough guy. :P



The highlight for me was the food. Gosh, I love me a real, good gyro! I was anticipating it ALL week. It didn't disappoint, but it wasn't the best I've had (which was in a Turkish deli in Eastern Europe... so). Daniel got a cheese pizza... he didn't know what he was missing.



The Greek Orthodox "Timeline of Church History" had Daniel and I laughing a little. As you can see from the picture it's a red line, beginning with the time of the apostles where "One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church" began. That line continues straight through history, changing names to "The Orthodox Church" after the Great Schism in 1054. The part we got a good laugh out of was the "branching away" of the Roman Church, and the continual branching of followers of Martin Luther, John Calvin, John Wesley and others throughout history, that formed Lutheran, Presbyterian and Methodist denominations. 

... maybe only we found it funny??

We finished up our evening with a Baklava sundae. Yummy, but so rich.


No comments:

Post a Comment