Thursday, September 8, 2011

Potatoes and Meatloaf

Potatoes are one of the consistent cravings I have had since about week 7. Mostly just baked potatoes, but potato skins, mashed potatoes and french fries do the trick, too.

So I got two honkin' baked potatoes last week, and today made them up for dinner. I had a recipe in mind to try, so that made it even more fun. :)

Sliced Baked Potato Recipe

1. Carefully slice the potatoes, about an 1/8 of an inch in thickness, leaving 1/4 - 1/2 inch of potato unsliced at the bottom


2. Mince 4 cloves of garlic, and mix with 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tsp chives, 1 tsp dried oregano, and 1/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese. Take pinches and stuff into the slots of the potato. Rub the excess oil over top and sprinkle generously with kosher salt, or sea salt.



3. Bake at 400F for about 45 minutes. Potatoes should be crispy on the outside, but soft on the inside. (I forgot to take a picture of them finished :-/)




The meatloaf was a last minute kick. I figured I couldn't feed my husband on potatoes alone, so I quickly looked for a picture of meatloaf that didn't make me queasy. These little mini loaves did the trick. (And we have enough for two more meals in the freezer!)

Mini Meatloaf Recipe

1. In a large bowl combine 1 lb ground beef with 1 egg, 1/2 c. milk, 1/2 c. quick oats, 1/2-1 cup chunked or shredded cheese (I used Parm and cheddar, mostly because it was all I had), 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp oregano,  2 cloves minced garlic, and 1 tsp salt. Gently, but thoroughly mix it with your (clean) hands.


2. Using your hands again, shape chunks of meat into slightly-larger-than-a-meatball balls. Place in lightly greased muffin tins. And top with a squirt of ketchup and a squirt of mustard (mix these before baking... I didn't, but should have). For more of a BBQ taste add a generous sprinkle of brown sugar. Lastly, leave two muffin tins empty and fill 1/3 full of water so that the meatloaf doesn't burn.

3. Bake at 400F for about 30 minutes, or until meat is completely cooked.

Enjoy! 





No comments:

Post a Comment