Monday, October 3, 2011

Sourdough French Toast

Have I ever mentioned how much I love breakfast? Well I do. In fact, I could eat breakfast three times a day. Maybe it's because breakfast foods are warm and sweet, cozy almost? Whether it's a bowl of cinnamon life, or a stack of steamy-hot, maple-syrupy pancakes I simply take delight in that first meal of the day. Always have. Always will.

But who has time to make elaborate breakfast dishes every morning? Not me. So, breakfast for dinner becomes a perfect compromise. Many Sunday evenings we'll whip together a batch of pancakes, and always enjoy them. But this week when the craving for breakfast for dinner came, I knew pancakes weren't going to cut it.

The loaf of fresh sourdough I had just bought beckoned from the cupboard and I knew french toast was just begging to be made.

So, here's what we came up with. Me, and that sourdough loaf.


Ingredients: (
- 8 large pieces sourdough bread
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk (about 80 degrees)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt

(so honestly, I totally just eyeballed those last 7 ingredients. They make the "coating" for your toast, so if you're serving more or less than the recipe makes you can easily adjust accordingly. My never ending "eye balled" recipes are probably why I make the world's worst baker, but can get away with cooking occasionally. ;))

Directions:
1. Preheat over 300F, and "toast" bread on baking sheet for about 8 minutes each side. Bread should be dry and hard, but not burnt. Let cool 5 minutes, reduce oven to 200F, or "warm."

2. Whisk together last 7 ingredients in large bowl. Transfer to baking pan if bread will not fit in bowl.

3. Dip each slice of bread in wet mixture about 20 seconds each side. Bread should be saturated, but not too soggy. 

4. Place wet bread of greased and heated skillet for about 4 minutes each side. Transfer to baking sheet and place in warm oven til all slices are complete.

5. Top with your favorite syrup, fruit or sugar and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment