Saturday, September 8, 2012

Nursery Reveal {Finally!}

Well, my baby is almost 7 months old, and I've finally finished his nursery. As finished as it'll ever be, that is. I'm sure I'll be collecting and making stuff until my last baby starts kindergarten.

Take a look-sie:





It was such a joy to put together this nursery for our children. I have always envisioned a nursery as a peaceful and soft environment. No bright, busy colors. And no yellow paint. I personally am not a fan of the grow-into-it styled nursery. It's a great idea, and I've seen it done so well so many times, but the sentimental side of me envisioned a room only for babies. Something reminiscent of babyhood, of innocence. So, while Ralphie is the first to enjoy this nursery, I hope that all of our babies, in years to come, will sleep on these sheets, and smile at this artwork.

I had no idea that I was choosing something so hard to find! After all is said and done, though, I am glad it's not a theme everyone chooses. So, the pieces in this room are a hodge-podge of things tracked down at thrift stores, or handed-down from friends. All of the material came from various Etsy shops. That was probably the biggest investment for this room, but was still less than a crib set we could have bought. With about 6 yards of fabric I made two (different-patterned) crib sheets and a crib/toddler bed-sized quilt. I covered two canvases, and covered wooden letters I bought at Hobby Lobby. I still have scrap pieces that I plan to use for some Christmas presents. The skirt I made for $10 with white cotton on sale at Hobby Lobby. 



This sweet collection of ornaments and the little pail were made for me by the women who hosted my baby shower. I spray painted a pretty white branch and used some of the scrap material to cover the styrofoam cube that is holding the branch in place. I love this little piece of decor.





Some time ago I decided on Beatrix Potter for a theme. The sweet, water colored pictures; the whimsical stories; the endearing characters. Pigling Bland and Pig-Wig, Jemima Puddle Duck, naughty Tom Kitten, and of course Peter Rabbit all stole my heart. Before I was pregnant, before I was even married, I cut out pictures of a nursery that echoed what I had wanted, and Peter Rabbit was framed on the walls. I think that was the first of the inspiration.

For the walls we purchased two RIBBA Picture Ledge shelves from IKEA, and some of their fabulous frames. The rest of the nick-knacks on the shelves were gifts, excepting the tin cup, which was mine. The gold-framed picture is one of my favorites: My mom found it for us at the thrift store. It is Josephine Rabbit and her bunnies.




I tore the pages out of an old Petter Rabbit book, and taped the pictures to the wall. I'm hoping to find some cute little frames for these at some point, but right now, I think they still look fine.







This sweet picture was a gift from one of my best friends, Ralphie's Auntie Carolyn. The mirror was a thrift find several years ago. I just switched out the fabric. The trash can was given to us by a friend from church.






This room is now my favorite in the whole house. It's exactly what I had in my mind, and each item in it is special in some way - whether it's the furniture that belonged to all my siblings and me, or the gifts specially given when Ralphie was just the size of an eggplant, or the items I put my own time and love into carefully making.


I know we are blessed to have a nursery that holds a baby in our home. 
I am so thankful for this baby, and that he is ours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment