Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Newlywed Kitchen Cookbook Returns!

Well, it's been awhile, I know. I want to finish this, because I started it, but I think I honestly don't like blogging about food. And truthfully, sometimes I'm so hungry by the time I've finished cooking that I forget to get the camera. Do you need a reminder of what we were doing with it?

We enjoyed Kale, White Bean and Sausage soup before I could take a picture. We served it over rice. So delicious and healthful. Also tried out The Ultimate Grilled Cheese, but stinky cheeses don't please our palete. I'll remake this sometime with provolone, perhaps. For a church luncheon I made the Orzo Pasta Salad with Arugula and Cherry Tomatoes. I didn't have a bite left in the bowel. It was so yummy I've already made it twice, and will probably make it again. So, I'll try to post that recipe eventually.

This past week I made (and took pictures) of the Balsamic-Glazed Turkey Meat Loaf. It was lighter and sweeter version to traditional meatloaf, and easy to make.

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup finely diced sweet yellow onion
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 lb ground turkey
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp dried thyme
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1. Heat olive oil in skillet, and add onions and peppers (I forgot what the red pepper in the fridge was for and ate it... so I used yellow). Cook until softened, remove from heat and let cool.

2. Put ground turkey in large bowel and add salt, pepper, thyme, cumin and fennel seeds. Gently mix in the egg and bread crumbs. Then mix in the onions and pepper. Take care not to overwork.


3. In separate bowl whisk together balsamic vinegar, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce.

4. Add 3/4 of sauce to ground turkey mixing until just combined.

*gag*
5. Pat the meatloaf into a lightly greased load pan. Brush the remaining glaze on top of the meatloaf and bake for 50-55 minutes at 350F

6. Let cool 5-10 minutes before slicing. Serve and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment