Monday, July 5, 2010

Homemade Pizza

Pizza is a favorite in the Wells household, especially for the Mr. One of the first things Daniel had to coerce me into was having a weekly pizza night. I agreed, at least for a month, as long as I could make it a couple of times. After watching me "take all day" to make a pizza, my thrifty husband wanted me to prove that I was actually saving us money by making homemade pizza, instead of buying a frozen pizza, or ordering out. I was adamant that even if the price wasn't that different the quality certainly was. He still wanted cold, hard facts, so here they are: 

The ingredients to my favorite rapid-rise pizza dough recipe are these:

3 1/2 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 pkg rapid rise yeast
1 cup warm water
2 tbsp olive oil

I did some research online, and checked my grocery receipts. Those ingredients alone averaged to $2.30, and adding 1/4 cup of pizza sauce, 6 ounces of mozzarella cheese, and 1/3 of a package of pepperoni added another $2.80, making the total cost of the pizza just over $5. 

The recipe can make one large pizza, two small (about 12 inch round) pizzas or one deep dish pizza. I doubled the recipe and made one deep dish, and two 12 inch rounds to freeze. I put olives and onions on my side of the pizza. :) I cut this in four pieces and we had two for dinner, and then the other two for lunch the next day. It was delish.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Thanks for this recipe
    Because the thing is I'm planning to move to a short term apartment and I think pizza will be the best option for almost everynight, don't you think so?
    So I must learn how to cook one!!!!
    hope I can make a GOOD pizza...wish me good luck!!
    thanks angain

    ReplyDelete